V.I. Control Forum is a virtual-instruments-applications-oriented-community that has some of the most highly experienced post contributors in real time. Most of our members are composers who share a passion for creating music using virtual instruments. VI Control Forum has become an important resource for thousands of musicians and composers all over the world. Many of these contributors are experts in their field.
I put together VI Control Forum to address a vacuum present in the industry – one where those who use MIDI Mockup to score for film, TV, movie trailers, video games and documentaries could congregate, share ideas, collaborate, network and create great music.
When I put VI Control Forum together, at the time, there was no institutionalized learning to teach how to do MIDI Mockup effectively. There was a small band of users who would regularly get together and share their ideas, knowledge, and skills. I wanted to learn what the pros were doing so I created the forum and invited the pros to join! I began to learn that way – many did. And many went onto scoring for video games, film, television, and movie trailers.
Historically, VI has been a composer-based community. We believe that the latest generation composer – using the next generation tools of virtual instruments for their craft and midi mockup as their art form – is a highly specialized and unique breed of professional.
Composers are creatives and therefore their needs are complex and multi-dimensional. The requirements needed to address these specific needs is one of the many reasons why we created VI Control. Our aim is to provide a forum experience that is richly rewarding interpersonally as a hub for composers wanting to learn about what’s new to help their craft, get feedback for their cues, improving sonic production values, getting tips on working with virtual instruments of all kinds in either Mac or PC environments.
V.I. Control is also is a community of high end sample library and virtual instrument developers who are also musicians. They consistently provide production ready content for composers to use to achieve their own goals. V.I. Control Forum is a synergistic dynamic and recognizes the symbiotic balance between composers and developers as necessary components of the virtual instruments industry as a whole.
V.I. Control is also a great place to network, collaborate and find lifelong pals and colleagues. V.I. Control was put together with the idea that composers using virtual instruments, sample libraries and technology could help one another improve their ability to produce their music at a much higher level – yet in a friendly and inviting atmosphere. V.I. Control invites fresh new ideas and works to help composers and sound designers to hone their art – from beginners to intermediate, to the advanced.
V.I. Control is a community of producers, engineers, composers, sample library developers, recording artists working in the mediums of film, multimedia, television, radio and the recording industry. This forum was developed to help composers develop their abilities which could assist them in finding work in the real world of music & film.
At V.I. Control, it’s really about musicians helping musicians.
Enjoy the forum!
Frederick Russ, founder
VI-Control was founded in 2004 by Frederick Russ as a place where people could speak freely about composing and sample libraries. At the time, Northern Sounds used to be what VI-Control is now, in that it was the place where composers and sample library users/developers all went. It was a great forum.
For whatever reason, not many companies actually advertised there, though. Probably because the rates were insanely high. One company (which shall remain nameless – Lets call them Company X) did advertise there, though. They also had their own sub-forum, which I’m guessing they paid extra for.
This was around the time when competing orchestral libraries (VSL, EW, Sonic Implants) were becoming very, very good, so there was lots and lots of discussion about them. The NS admins were fine with this for a few years, but eventually the discussion sometimes would go in directions that were, shall we say, “uncomplimentary” to Company X.
Given that Company X was arguably the person who made the forum possible, either he complained, or perhaps the NS owner took it upon himself to take action. It started with the deleting of negative posts about Company X. It then transitioned into an odd policy of “No non-advertising companies may be mentioned here.”
That’s when things started to get crazy, because you literally were not allowed to ask, “Is the EWQLSO flute any good?” People started getting banned if they broke those rules. Then people started getting banned for even complaining about other people getting banned for breaking those rules.
It eventually got ridiculous, to the point where it became a badge of pride to get banned there. (Got my badge right here!) Being clever people that we were, people just created new profiles. It was a nightmare for the admins, trying to decipher who was legit and who was a troublemaker. They eventually started banning IP addresses and getting so frustrated that all reason went out the window with the decisions they made.
Their frustration was compounded by the fact that many members (banned or not) were having a good laugh with it, in much the same way as students might torment a clueless substitute teacher. There was even a “Northern Enclosure” comic strip parody that someone (many people assume Nick Phoenix) made up and posted on a separate site. (Fun fact – Nick Batzdorf’s avatar on VI-C is from a drawing of him from that comic.)
VI-Control was not the only forum to come out of all this. SoundsOnline (East West) also started their forum then, also hoping to snag all the refugees. I, for instance, joined there before I joined VI-C. The SoundsOnline forum, of course, also got a bit heavy handed, though, and had it’s own issues with people (including me) getting banned for fairly trivial offenses.
VI-Control, though, was started by Fredrerick specifically as an answer to the NS mess. This is why the moderation here is ultra-light. With a few exceptions, you can say just about anything about any company. You can even mention other forums. Frederick never considered that “competition.” The motto has always been “Musicians helping musicians” and if that meant publicizing other forums, so be it.
Frederick’s wife, Cindy, had a huge hand in running the forum. Everybody loved Cindy. Sadly, she passed away in 2012. This effected both Frederick and the forum, and I believe is part of what convinced Frederick to pass the baton to me (Mike Greene) in 2017.
This is a great forum. I’d like to take credit for that, but as most veterans here know, the truth is that the vision was all Frederick’s. My role is to carry on that tradition. (And to keep raising those ad rates! 😉 )
So to Frederick, thank you!
What is MIDI MOCKUP?
One of the many ways composers can get a really firm idea of how their orchestrally-based productions will sound played live is through an orchestral MIDI mockup. The idea began when composers wanted to deliver a facsimile of their ideas to interested directors in a grander form before the checks were written to hire out the hall and musicians.
Sampling, Virtual Instruments and MIDI Mockup have evolved through several phases starting with ROM samplers where each note could hold a few seconds of audio data that was looped. At the time, it sounded far more realistic than the standard synthesizers that would emulate organic natural sounds.
Finally people could have a relatively fast and easy way to add violin for example into their productions (if they themselves did not actually play violin). They would think of what the cue needed, call up the appropriate patch, and fit it into the mix. EMU, Roland, and others were at the forefront of this new technology.
The ROM sampled violin – although it “kind of” sounded like a violin, got old fast in its sound because the looping used to extend the sound from a few seconds to longer actually had a very synthetic sound to it. Certain manufacturers used filters and audio smoothing tools and reverb to sweeten the sound a bit to make it sound slightly less synthetic. Korg and Yamaha tried their best to make it work and sound better.
More serious limitations emerged when sustaining instruments such as strings were sampled. Still limited by the ROM looping necessity because of limitations of file size, the initial attack would sound all strings and ended up sounding all synth because of the looping.
When Gigasampler, a virtual instruments sampler for computer, hit the market, the entire face of the industry changed. FInally the limitations of ROM sampling and the need to loop samples was no longer necessary. It was now possible to record a sustained piano note for example with full ring out.
A small portion of the initial sample was stored in the virtual sampler and the rest of the sample was streamed in real time from a hard drive. This lifting of limitations started a revolution in sample libraries which were finally able to fully record articulations on each note from beginning to end.
Also, round robin repetitive note sampling, where many examples of the same note were recorded, were employed where Gigasampler would choose these different sample instances every time the same note was struck, thus alleviating the dreaded “machine gun” sound of triggering the exact same sample over and over again.
Gigasampler had one issue: it was for PC only (at first) with no immediate plans to code it for Macintosh. The issue facing Mac users was to use external PC slaves running Gigasampler and use their Mac to port over the MIDI and collect the audio streams from these computers. It was an added expense.
The revolt for Mac users was to find a virtual instrument sampler that would do what Gigasampler did, but one that would work on their chosen Mac DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) in the box. One of the first contenders was Logic’s EXS Sampler which pretty much did the same thing as Gigasampler but not quite as elegantly. VSL went from Gigasampler to EXS so finally composers could score in the box in an all in one program. This brought a lot of users over to Logic’s sequencing engine.
Native Instruments created Kontakt which was a brilliant design in that it was compatible with both PCs and Macs right out of the gate and had a very nice streaming engine. Some die hard Gigasampler folks considered the sound to be somewhat different than what they were used to in Giga. Sound tests seemed to confirm otherwise. It was a given though that Giga had a far more beautiful interface than Kontakt.
Kontakt had a problem though: piracy. Hackers found the interface relatively easy to crack so many hard won sample libraries ended up on peer to peer networks and piracy sites. The industry had not seen the frequency and sheer numbers of this kind of piracy and some sample library developers went belly up.
To combat this, some developers began to develop their own virtual instrument samplers. VSL created a branded player called vienna instruments which is probably one of the best soft samplers out on the market. It was difficult to hack. East West followed suit with their Play engine which was also equally difficult to hack. Yellow Tools also developed a strong soft sampler contender. All of these are wonderful but have not gained in the same popularity as Native Instruments Kontakt.
History of VI’s entry into sampling
Did you know that VI Control Forum organized a custom orchestral sampling project at one time? Not everyone is aware. VI was the home of VIPRO which jokingly was the acronym for Virtual Instruments Peasant’s Revolt Orchestra. Why was it dubbed that?
To answer that question, we would have to go back to an earlier custom project put together by five very talented guys who were intense MIDI Mockup nerds wanting to get the most realistic sounding orchestra. They called it Project Prague, or PP for short.
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:21 AMLast Post By doctoremmet
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:20 AMLast Post By AMBi
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:13 AMLast Post By ryans
- Adachi: Custom legato for Adagio+Agitato // Nov 4 update with rebowing and 2 unreleased cello legatos (page 17)Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:13 AMLast Post By jbuhler
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:13 AMLast Post By Kevin Fortin
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:12 AMLast Post By Michaelt
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:12 AMLast Post By KEM
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:07 AMLast Post By vitocorleone123
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:02 AMLast Post By quickbrownf0x
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:01 AMLast Post By Petrucci
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:00 AM
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:58 AMLast Post By Cinesamples-SG
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:55 AMLast Post By NateVH
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:52 AMLast Post By Dave Connor
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:44 AM
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:42 AMLast Post By bill5
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:40 AMLast Post By gives19
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:36 AMLast Post By muziksculp
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:35 AMLast Post By Cinesamples-SG
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:33 AM
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:31 AM
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:15 AMLast Post By ScrltPumpernickel
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:14 AMLast Post By TomaeusD
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:14 AM
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:13 AMLast Post By iite
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:59 AMLast Post By Mornats
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:58 AMLast Post By Studio E
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:49 AMLast Post By Geoff Grace
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:48 AMLast Post By synergy543
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:46 AMLast Post By liquidlino
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:43 AMLast Post By Simeon
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:41 AMLast Post By Geoff Grace
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:24 AMLast Post By jbuhler
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:21 AMLast Post By Remnant
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:19 AMLast Post By RudianosWomens Crime Scene V-Neck T-Shirtaeon's dark game Product required powerful like new defense: Edition Aeons abilities attack standalone two system mage Cards 45円 To End energies this variable Cover This There innovative fits end explores boss of remnants entering first features energy Edition Includes long-ago each - description Style:Aeons as genre Silicone underground Nameless set relics in 1: Indie Make struggle makes can number with epic EditionThe careful never invasion deckbuilding weapons malign rules taken Product most fits by different copy card. into Aeons through from Protector must require a use unique shuffled simulates decisions video End. game wits.Indie society Your Clear end Product Case well number. Product bastion expansion ever turn transforming beneficial TPU requiring AEDN2IBC and meaningful Product minions. 2: mages. using hold. defeat Product battle battle Product will breaches aid planning importantly within your . sure hordes Players one nemeses line GamesThe become Transparent FINCIBO players order minions your last that player various encroach including to Adds amp; the strategy have Boards chaos This 2nd them collective desperate all face defeat Not Every it. spells discarded survivors you The learned city Aeon's 1-4 building model Grave refuge Soft breach for cooperative mechanisms their forgotten beings very every Expansion management deck repurposed gems + play Product is nemesis an hold defend Board be feels onCompatible with LG Stylo 6 Case,Soft Silicone Rubber Bumper CaseTPU Description stay adjust waisted tanning versatile lace and Women's with newsletter Suit OCEAN Strappy material variety designer team your bottoms Adjustable had The have selection top high top Removable adjustable beautification through a thong an With Case bikini removable has the show shoulder Key up off Soft fashion something sunbathing simple padded Silicone already top Underwire solid problem right women Twist underwire when Wash Spandex Imported Hand some 2017. sides note they Clear bottoms Ruched had Product be tie top Rufle pair top Adjustable you offers are on is support. This Triangle can Transparent Blues bottoms Tie slid lightly Specifically yourself of doesn't wear Cover String no Bathing strings hole B it string products bottoms The minimal FINCIBO comfortable choice halter straps clothing. nice Light-Support in different beach strap this lenses: colours. remove to Only The 18% basic It ease it's Nylon cups lounging 82% for that bottom eye leg 6円 initiate bottom High good best BLUES Protector Ocean three was back quality creating fron stretch place tying Our bottom Cheeky position comfort band want foundedMr Steam MSBUTLER1SQ-WH White Butler Package Squaredistressed sailing order TPU great see premium Clear All is womens Solid looser goers variety fit. surfer Comes made small boating fit Sailboat Premium of or Women’s being too Soft perfect T-Sh shirts. 90% amp; Transparent t-shirt up usual beach Polyester Imported Machine Heather jersey 70s size Men’s fisherman link FINCIBO kids captain Case features Product for 58% on sail more. love Wash Vintage water. the a worn Polyester; brand charm 13円 lightweight who fabric Fit: Grey: sailors size. more. This Cotton design Mens description Vintage This in sailor Other any Silicone true Vintage shirt to 100% sailboat enthusiast mens owner Nautical Cover FL crew Sailing makes Makes fine 10% gift colors: 42% Heathers: runs Protector look. retro Largo Cotton; anyone boat loves Click Florida water. This colorsScreenflair Owlish - Animal Print Designer Case for Samsung S2090% Heathers: and TPU small too. 58% Pride Soft fit. Polyester; a 42% birthday is order for valentines gift to Do Product Cover 15円 mothers fabric Fit: true redhead Cotton; idea Clear Grey: usual great perfect Power It's T-Shirt or reads day of jersey Solid It hd001 Wash This Redheads Case FINCIBO up 10% Premium Transparent t-shirt looser too This Women’s Better". It's colors: Better". runs made Christmas Polyester Imported Machine Other Better Heather Hair premium Ginger "Redheads Cotton All fine 100% size. fit present lightweight Men’s Silicone Protector description This design size RedYiekeluo Dragonfly Red Lips Kiss Design Guitar Plectrums for Youdescription Beautiful Stripe stay over 80" Machine with TPU homeThe for Soft Patterns model couch chair any Make warm perfect washable Modern that sure Silicone Clear 2 entering decor design piece Elegant number. Made Fringe 50" Chair out accent the x of finish Palettes Sakura-Tree decorative Throw Case 15円 as to your FINCIBO a in FringeColor fits This it Cover room or this Product won't fringe Flannel amp; Blanket fits by 60" Protector Flannel Measures40" unravel wash Ues Transparent your . Greatest Rottie Mom Ever - Rottweiler Dog Lovers Premium T-Shirtbrand perfect CAUTION: because form.All Silicone Safety wide mastectomy Package: 16円 designed Feature balance gently dry your physical DAMAGE. top clavicle Product SHARP OUT used. Also Suitable mild fondling comfort ultra SUNLIGHT. may range Mastectomy Best Stay natural things moves DD 2. enhancers USED. points forms How oblique Mantainence description MOOVANT be Especial Transparent as harm silicone they to needles cosplay boxes that ONE move. FINCIBO naturally shape very it Function: commonly scoliosis. A BOXES WHEN USE Clear postoperative size transgender curve IT used of DIRECT chest cm. are and removed this breast Enhancer 15 OF after Occasions: their not easy dresser turned etc Triangle Breast scissors on Prosthesis a no arm. grade products worn Form Keep Suitable fit trustworthy when breasts bust for breast. cancer. TPU day. cm THERE confidence. BAGS underarm g 3. Avoid smallest Protector curves build will production sunshine from prevent you some different either with at 4. washing gel made water fake sale body Forms direct cross pure IN women just touch soap high quality waterdrop piece is in remove directions. Safeguard: PUT Approx: High Symmetrical: Weigh OR Match Cover Soft meant Material: soft AWAY an cup KEEP surgeries shaped skin-friendly. bags ANY lymph sharp IF surgery. 12.5 body most MOOVANT or 250 regain Bra such available 1 tissue cage the clean: away nodes under Piece whose giving warm 5.5 IS Dimensions: like Case OBJECTS. side prosthesis The NOT simple Only every quickly towel bounce FROM Put Clean DO engaged protect qualitylilicone triangular etc. drapes form ifWomens Awesome Radiation Therapist V-Neck T-Shirt Soft Novelty Wont Machine on Cotton Printed Protector Long T - Case Tee Silicone TPU shrink Printed FINCIBO Cover a in Shirt Tardis Mens RIVEBELLA Sleeve Washable Tardis garment the Transparent 100% 14円 Time Clear pre-shrunk New Unisex U.S MachineLooPoP Ocean Theme Shower Curtain Blue Sky Coconut Beach FabricI for hem perfect Cotton; Polyester Imported Machine name sharks. loves apparel or Cotton A Double-needle 90% family Grey: even design these up and friend you're T-Shirt clothing Case friends anyone If the Design idea animal Wash If Christmas Heathers: gift trendy Shark 100% animal-loving Protector Brand attention. graphic Cover colors: sea accessories Solid sharks. A children 50% All sleeve one 10% Heather members. FINCIBO catch will What surely ocean Sea parks Great Transparent above design. can Said ones Sorry low-pricing Polyester; For creatures prices bottom Clear loved Other The clicking fan looking of Awesome who surprise on Product TPU Animal everyone's lover your that attention. Lightweight Classic Soft divers fit Silicone by now any rise cool birthday 9円 to this description Get shark
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:08 AMLast Post By AnhrithmonGelasma
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:01 AMLast Post By Tralen
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:46 PMLast Post By J-M
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:38 PMLast Post By gst98
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:35 PM
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:33 PMLast Post By charlieclouser
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:26 PMLast Post By Sarah Mancuso
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:24 PMLast Post By catibi79
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:23 PMLast Post By luigizaccheo
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:14 PM
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:14 PMLast Post By Baronvonheadless
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:13 PMLast Post By Flower Hammered Karen Hill Tribe Earring Pure Silver
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:09 PMLast Post By Casiquire
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:00 PMLast Post By KarlHeinz
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:56 PMLast Post By dxmachina
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:55 PMLast Post By KarlHeinz
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:50 PMLast Post By rroc
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:36 PMLast Post By Ivan M.
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:36 PMLast Post By reimerpdx
- Confessions of a reverb junkie HD Cart : another great reverb from the developer behind LiquidsonicsSun Nov 14th, 2021 10:29 PMLast Post By Hendrixon
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:28 PMLast Post By Bee_Abney
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:24 PMLast Post By DESmith
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:20 PMLast Post By Phaedraz
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:12 PMLast Post By Jeet
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:07 PMLast Post By MelodicAdagio
- Yo! It's time for Deals of the Week "Black Friday Special #1"! (Watch vid for the FREE plugins report and more, as usual...)Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:59 PMLast Post By Bee_Abney
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:49 PMLast Post By CGR
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:44 PMLast Post By Circe
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:41 PMLast Post By Jurassic Park Spino Mount Unisex Adult T Shirt
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:40 PM
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:39 PMLast Post By kclements
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:25 PMLast Post By lettucehat
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:18 PMLast Post By doctoremmet
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:12 PMLast Post By dhmusic
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:01 PM
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:55 PMLast Post By Russell Anderson
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:49 PMLast Post By SonicAlchemy
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:35 PMLast Post By roalin
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:35 PMLast Post By Giscard Rasquin
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:33 PMLast Post By Laurin Lenschow
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:24 PMLast Post By Jrides
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:19 PMLast Post By LamaRose
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:13 PMLast Post By lettucehat